Near Monaville in Waller County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Frey - Benignus House
Swiss immigrant John Frey (1857-1925) and his German-born wife Mary (1862-1933) moved to Waller County in late 1889. They built a small two-room house, a barn, and smokehouse, and began a family farm. The couple eventually had fifteen children and added rooms to their home as their family grew. Now standing as an excellent example of a late 19th-century farmhouse, the house features fine milled wood details. Following the deaths of John and Mary Frey, the house became the property of their daughter, Margarete, and her husband Louis Benignus.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9384.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 29° 58.668′ N, 95° 58.419′ W. Marker is near Monaville, Texas, in Waller County. Marker is on Blinka Road, 0.7 miles south of Rochen Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waller TX 77484, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Frey Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Highland Home School (approx. 1.8 miles away); Site of St. Mary's Catholic Church and Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Monaville Independent School District (approx. 4˝ miles away); Pine Island Baptist Church (approx. 6 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Waller (approx. 6.2 miles away); Waller (approx. 6.3 miles away); Site of South Texas Baptist College (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monaville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 10, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 116 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 10, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.