Greenville in Washington County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
New Jerusalem M.B. Church
New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church was formed from the Old Jerusalem Church and was founded here by Rev. Walter A. Robinson in 1906, who was pastor until 1923. After withstanding the 1927 flood, a new church was built in 1951. In 1928, it was the city's first African American church to establish an Usher Board.
Erected 2006 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 33° 24.063′ N, 91° 3.52′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Mississippi, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Gum Street and South Harvey Street, on the right when traveling north on Gum Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 518 Gum St, Greenville MS 38701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greenville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shelby Foote (approx. 0.4 miles away); Walker Percy (approx. The King's Daughters Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Courthouse Arboretum (approx. half a mile away); Washington County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hebrew Union Congregation (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 11, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.