Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The importance of Seminole County in the history of the area lies in its location at the navigable headwaters of the St. Johns River and the elevated forest land south of the three large lakes within its boundaries: Monroe, Harney, and Jesup. Ancient Indians mounds along these waters indicate its importance before recorded history. The perfection of the steamboat in the early part of the 19th century opened the river waterways to commerce, and the banks of these lakes became the staging points for the Second Seminole Indian War (1835-42).
At the conclusion of the Civil War immigration to the area accelerated, lumbering of the virgin cypress and pine began, and large citrus groves were planted. Regular steamboat travel along the St. Johns River to Sanford was established by the 1850's. The coming of the railroads to the area in the early 1880's connected the port of Sanford with small settlements to the south and the area became a tourist mecca for winter visitors.
By 1887 large hotels welcomed visitors in Sanford, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, and points farther south. Travel time by rail from
Back-to-back freezes in December 1894 and February 1895 destroyed the citrus industry of the region, but by the early part of the 20th century it was flourishing again, as were large celery and vegetable farms, and dairy and cattle industries.
Sanford, founded by Henry S. Sanford in 1870, became the county seat in 1913 when Seminole County was separated from Orange County. During the latter part of the 20th century the agricultural activities gradually began to be replaced by offices, light industry, and home sites for people who continue to find Seminole County an attractive place to work and reside. Both Sanford and Longwood have historic districts which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Seminole County Historic Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 28° 46.506′ N, 81° 14.633′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on Red Cleveland Boulevard, 0.3 miles west of East Airport Blvd, on the left when traveling south. The marker is located at the Orlando Sanford International Airport on the east side of the arrival/departure area.Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Red Cleveland Boulevard, Sanford FL 32773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Naval Air Station - Sanford (approx. 0.8 miles away); NAS Sanford/City of Sanford (approx. 0.8 miles away); RVAH 12 Speartips (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ramey Field (approx. 0.8 miles away); The North American RA-5C Vigilante (approx. 0.8 miles away); U.S. Navy Enlisted Bombardier / Navigator (approx. 0.8 miles away); Midway/Canaan City (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Reid 1836 (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 12, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.