Warsaw in Coshocton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Founding of Warsaw, Ohio
In 1800, President John Adams granted 4,000 acres in the Walhonding Valley to William Simmons for his service to the United States of America as a Colonel during the Revolution, and for being one of five men appointed by President George Washington to run the first United States Treasury.
William Simmons daughter, Josephine, married William Carhart. He was a General during the War of 1812 and instrumental in the organization of the Ohio Militia. They chose Coshocton County for their first home, building what was considered the first structure at the present-day site of Warsaw.
In November 1834, William Carhart founded Warsaw by platting 32 lots on his homestead. A portion of the original Simmons land grant.
Meanwhile, in Poland, a group of young non-commissioned officers at the Military Academy rallied the citizens in a November revolt against the arbitrary rule of Russia. Although that struggle for freedom was not achieved for another 85 years… it gave rise to the naming of Warsaw, Coshocton County, Ohio, in honor of the Polish Capital.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #02 John Adams series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
Location. 40° 20.112′ N, 82° 0.401′ W. Marker is in Warsaw, Ohio, in Coshocton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 36) and Bridge street (Ohio Route 60), on the left when traveling west on Main Street. marker is at the northwest corner of the Village Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 Main St, Warsaw OH 43844, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel William Simmons (a few steps from this marker); The Warsaw Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Scout Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin J. Fischer (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Site of White Woman’s Village (approx. 2½ miles away); Helmick Covered Bridge (approx. 5.2 miles away); Arlie Dale Mullet (approx. 5.2 miles away); Bouquet’s Camp (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warsaw.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2020, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 155 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 13, 2020, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.