Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Butler in Johnson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Old Butler / Watauga Academy

 
 
Old Butler Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2020
1. Old Butler Marker
Inscription.  
Old Butler
The Old Butler site, which was located three miles southeast of here, is under Watauga Lake. Settled before 1770 by John Honeycutt, it was named for Judge R.R. Butler in 1868. The town, originally a farming, milling and mining community, became a shipping point for lumber, iron ore, and trade goods when the railroad arrived in 1902. Floods plagued the area, and the 1940 flood caused TVA to build Watauga Dam, permanently flooding Butler and the surrounding area in 1948.

Watauga Academy
In 1871, L.L. Maples established Aenon Seminary, located three miles southeast of here, now under the waters of Watauga Lake. The seminary's name was changed to Holly Springs College in 1886, and it became the Watauga Academy in 1906. By 1933, Watauga Academy was a public school. Professor James Hamilton Smith was an early prominent leader of Aenon Seminary. A graduate of Watauga Academy, Congressman B. Carroll Reece was a member of its first graduating class in 1911. Bricks removed from the Watauga Academy were used to construct the sanctuary of the Virginia Avenue Methodist Church, in Bristol.
Watauga Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2020
2. Watauga Academy Marker

 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1A 138.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 36° 20.844′ N, 82° 1.548′ W. Marker is near Butler, Tennessee, in Johnson County. Marker is on State Highway 67 half a mile south of Rainbolt Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16931 Highway 67 West, Butler TN 37640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Andrew Johnson (approx. 8.1 miles away); O'Brien Furnace (approx. 9.7 miles away); Old Red Fox (approx. 9.8 miles away); ET&WNC Railroad Covered Bridge (approx. 9.8 miles away); Carter Family Memorial (approx. 9.9 miles away); The Mansion (approx. 10 miles away); Carter County's Train History (approx. 10.1 miles away); Samuel Powhatan Carter (approx. 10.2 miles away).
 
Old Butler / Watauga Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2020
3. Old Butler / Watauga Academy Marker
Old Butler / Watauga Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
Courtesy Tennessee State Library and Archives, 1947
4. Old Butler / Watauga Academy Marker
Butler Confectionery Drug Store and barber shop on Main Street.
Watauga Academy image. Click for full size.
Courtesy Tennessee State Library and Archives, 1920
5. Watauga Academy
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 14, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 19, 2020