Walthourville in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Walthourville Baptist Church
The original church did not have a building of its own, so it shared facilities with the Sunbury Baptist Church. In 1864 the church building was burnt by Gen. Sherman’s army as a signal for gunboats anchored in the channel. Before the building was burnt, the original Bible of the North Newport Church was saved by members of the church.
The present sanctuary was built in 1923. This building has two unique features: solid brick walls and a theater style floor made of heart pine. In 2000 the original tray ceiling and pine floor were restored.
Erected 2003 by Liberty County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1809.
Location. 31° 46.061′ N, 81° 38.072′ W. Marker is in Walthourville, Georgia, in Liberty CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 96 Vandiver Road, Walthourville GA 31333, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Walthourville History (approx. 0.2 miles away); Walthourville Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Pleasant Grove African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church and Camp Meeting (approx. 2˝ miles away); Skirmish at Hinesville (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old Liberty County Jail (approx. 5.8 miles away); Bradwell Park (approx. 6 miles away); Charlton Hines House (approx. 6 miles away); Bradwell Institute (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Walthourville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 989 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.