Lingleville in Erath County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built in 1913, this Tabernacle served as a permanent structure for summer religious revivals, and eliminated the need to rebuild or repair the brush covered arbors that had been used in earlier years. Local Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian Church congregations helped erect the structure, which included the hand-made benches. Like many tabernacles, it also served as a community meeting place. It is still used for the annual Lingleville homecoming.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6255.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 32° 14.543′ N, 98° 22.652′ W. Marker is in Lingleville, Texas, in Erath County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 219 and County Highway 550, on the left when traveling north on Highway 219. The tabernacle is located directly behind the Lingleville Baptist Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lingleville TX 76461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Lingleville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Corinth Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Oak Dale Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); Daniel Roberts Thornton and Mary Anna (Garland) Thornton (approx. 8.9 miles away); John Tarleton (approx. 9.6 miles away); In Memory of George Bernhard Erath (approx. 10.2 miles away); Erath Arches (approx. 10.2 miles away); Desdemona First Baptist Church (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Lingleville Texas. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on October 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.