Blountville in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Tipton Town House
In 1798 Lawrence Snapp II sold to John Tipton Jr. 600 acres surrounding Blountville for $4,000. This house stood on that tract.
Hugh Ella Anderson, mother of the present owner, bought the house in 1888 for $l000 gold from Dr. Sam Massengill.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
Location. 36° 32.004′ N, 82° 19.496′ W. Marker is in Blountville, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Bristol Highway (State Highway 126), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3369 Bristol Highway, Blountville TN 37617, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cannonball House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ralph Blizard (within shouting distance of this marker); Anderson Townhouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Deery Inn (about 300 feet away); 1840 Smokehouse (about 400 feet away); Brick Kitchen (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Old Deery Inn (about 400 feet away); King Ironworks Cabin (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blountville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 16, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.