Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The unincorporated town of Dallas was designated as a postoffice by the Republic of Texas in 1843. The County of Dallas was created by the first Legislature of Texas on March 30, 1846 from portions of Robertson and Nacogdoches counties. Both city and county were named in honor of George Mifflin Dallas (1792 - 1864) Pennsylvania Democratic statesman who was elected the eleventh vice-president of the United States on a platform favoring Texas annexation.
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 6666.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 32° 46.778′ N, 96° 48.413′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from Elm Street. The marker is on a pink granite stone next to the John Neely Bryan cabin. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 Elm Street, Dallas TX 75202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Log Cabin Pioneers of Dallas County (here, Dallas County Records Building (within shouting distance of this marker); John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Juries to Sit Women in Dallas County (about 300 feet away); The Old Red Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Women's Suffrage in Dallas County (about 400 feet away); Formerly The Texas School Book Depository Building (about 400 feet away); Dealey Plaza (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 16, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.