Union Point in Greene County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Wayside Home
Here in 1862-1864 was located the Wayside home, operated by 14 gallant Confederate women of this city. More than one million meals were served to Confederate soldiers, sailors, and marines, passing though this town. More than ten thousand Confederates registered in a roster kept here. Weary, sick, and wounded men of the South were made to feel at home here, to rest and receive aid. General James Longstreet and part of the First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia, passed thought here in September of 1863, enroute to bloody Chickamauga.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 066-2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1863.
Location. 33° 36.882′ N, 83° 4.608′ W. Marker is in Union Point, Georgia, in Greene County. Marker is on Union Point Highway (U.S. 278) 0 miles east of Boyd Street, on the left when traveling east. The marker is in front of a small office Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Union Point GA 30669, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Wayside Home 1862-64 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Two Committees (about 600 feet away); First Regimental Reunion of Confederate Veterans (approx. ¼ mile away); Great Buffalo Lick (approx. 1½ miles away); Bethesda Baptist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Bethany Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Confederate Gun Shop (approx. 6 miles away); Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union Point.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,259 times since then and 22 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.