Ticonderoga in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
At 18 feet, this dam is the lowest of the six surviving dams, but it supported several of the most productive enterprises in Ticonderoga. Of all the mill sites along the River, the Richards Dam alone retains a historical reference in its name. Ironically, the pulp mill whose name survives did not last as long as the woolen mill before it.
Hiram & Thomas Treadway built a woolen mill here in 1834, riding the early 19th- century boom in sheep farming. The sheep were Merinos, a breed imported from Spain for their long-staple wool which spun up into very fine yarn. The Champlain Valley became a center for breeding prize ewes that brought great wealth to local farmers. Farmers eventually undermined their business by exporting breeding ewes to the west.
In 1893, E. Richards & Sons took over the site to take advantage of the next great opportunity in the north woods: the making of paper pulp. Richards' Pulp Mill was the fourth pulp manufacturer to locate on the LaChute, and went into business the same year as the Essex County Pulp Mill, just upstream from here. By 1906, Ticonderoga Pulp & Paper Company
Top Left Photo: The workforce for the mills lived nearby, often in multi-family houses. This tenement house stood behind the Black Watch Library until the 1960’s.
Top Center Photo: The 1884 survey of Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper Company holdings drawn by D. M. Arnold shows a simple dam across the main stream of the River directing water to the machinery of the Treadway Woolen Mill.
Top Right Photo: Construction of Richards & Sons Pulp Mill.
Bottom Photo: Construction of Richards brought about a major reconfiguration of the watercourse. A second dam created a pond where logs could be stored. The mill housed grinding stones in the basement and a machine room on the first floor.
Erected by Lake Champlain Basin Program. (Marker Number 7.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 43° 50.982′ N, 73° 25.556′ W. Marker is in Ticonderoga, New York, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Adirondack Park and Carnegie Place, on the left when traveling east on Adirondack Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ticonderoga NY 12883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anatomy of the River (about 500 feet away, Island Mill (about 800 feet away); Crossroads of a Community (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hon. Clayton Harris DeLano (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tower Avenue Grindstones (approx. ¼ mile away); Lakes to Locks Passage (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Lakes to Locks Passage (approx. ¼ mile away); Grand Carry Landing (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ticonderoga.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 16, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.