Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

New Richmond in St. Croix County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ubet Store

New Richmond Heritage Center Pioneer Village

 
 
Ubet Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 21, 2014
1. Ubet Store Marker
Inscription.  Located on County Road F east of Deronda, the town of Ubet essentially no longer exists. In 1910 the town consisted of a blacksmith shop, warehouse, creamery, shoe repair shop, post office, horse stable, ice house, general store and feed mill. Population was about 50. By 1960, that population was down to 4, two of them the owners of this general store, Al and Ruth Route. Now everything is gone except an abandoned school and a couple of houses.

The store was built in 1933 by the bank in Dresser to replace the previous building which had burned down. The Routes bought the store at that time and ran it for many years.

The building was donated by Mel and Marilyn Truhlson and restored by the New Richmond Preservation Society.
 
Erected by New Richmond Heritage Center.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 45° 6.615′ N, 92° 32.063′ W. Marker is in New Richmond, Wisconsin, in St. Croix County. Marker can be reached from
Ubet Store image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 21, 2014
2. Ubet Store
(marker is mounted just right of the front entrance)
the intersection of Heritage Drive and Tierney Drive. Marker is mounted at waist-level directly on the subject building, one exhibit in the New Richmond Heritage Center Pioneer Village. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 Heritage Drive, New Richmond WI 54017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Nine School (a few steps from this marker); Blacksmith Shop (Log Barn) (a few steps from this marker); Heritage Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Heritage Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Northside House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell-Tierney Farmhouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Richmond Heritage Center (about 400 feet away); Paperjack Creek (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Richmond.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. New Richmond Heritage Center Pioneer Village
 
Also see . . .  New Richmond Heritage Center Pioneer Village. Built in 1933, it was the center of the tiny town of Ubet. The wainscoting interior is original, as is the painted shelving which is stocked with what a general store would have sold to the rural community of the time. (Submitted on October 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021