San Saba in San Saba County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Saba County Courthouse
In 1856, the Texas Legislature created and organized San Saba County. A two-story frame courthouse (1857-1878) and later a stone courthouse (1878-1910) on this site served the county and provided space for public gatherings. In 1910, the City of San Saba incorporated, and county residents, spurred by news of a railroad connection, authorized a new courthouse. Alabama architect Walter Chamberlain designed this classical revival building, faced in pressed brick and rusticated sandstone. Completed by the time of the first train's arrival in August 1911, it serves as the seat of justice "From the People to the People."
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2004
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15199.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Law Enforcement • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1911.
Location. 31° 11.733′ N, 98° 43.021′ W. Marker is in San Saba, Texas, in San Saba County Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 East Wallace Street, San Saba TX 76877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United Confederate Veterans William P. Rogers Camp No. 322 (a few steps from this marker); The Texas Rangers and the San Saba Mob (within shouting distance of this marker); Estep-Burleson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); San Saba County Jail (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mill Pond House (approx. ¼ mile away); Alma Ward Hamrick (approx. ¼ mile away); Galloway (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Saba Church of Christ (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Saba.
Also see . . . San Saba County. Wikipedia (Submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.