Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Emporium in Cameron County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Railroads

 
 
Railroads Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel
1. Railroads Marker
Inscription.  Emporium grew with the advent of the railroads. The Pennsylvania Rail Road was completed to Emporium on October 20, 1863 and opened the entire length by 1864. The Buffalo, New York and Philadelphia Railroad was completed to Emporium on December 23, 1872.
These railroads made it possible for the growing industries in the region to ship finished goods and raw material. They also brought in travelers who supported several hotels in the borough. Many stopped here to conduct business or lay over on their way to other cities. One hotel register in the archives of the Cameron County Historical Society shows guests from all over the east coast. One hotel register in the archives of the Cameron County Historical Society shows guests from all over the east coast.
The Round House was built in the late 1880's. It was used as a repair facility for the Pennsylvania Railroad. One of the features was a huge round table used to turn locomotives around. This structure was torn down in the 1960's when steam engines became obsolete.
The caboose on display at the east end of town is a rare 1942 Pennsylvania Railroad designed N5C Cabin Car. The PRR's
Railroads Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel
2. Railroads Marker
Top Right photo
The turn table behind the Round House. The platform base can still be seen today.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N5C was an iconic caboose, easily identified by its streamlined cupola and porthole windows. Only 199 of these were built in the Altoona plant and only a few survive today.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is October 20, 1863.
 
Location. 41° 30.497′ N, 78° 13.454′ W. Marker is in Emporium, Pennsylvania, in Cameron County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Creek Recreational Trail and East 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Emporium PA 15834, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Allegheny Portage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cameron County (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sylvania Electric Products (approx. 0.9 miles away); Sinnemahoning Path (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Costello Tannery (approx. 10½ miles away); The Goodyear Mill (approx. 10.8 miles away); The Louis Nuschke Store (approx. 11 miles away); The Bayless Pulp and Paper Mill (approx. 11.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Emporium.
 
Railroads Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel
3. Railroads Marker
Lower Left photos
Emporium's first rail road station with attached hotel


The Round House. Only large pieces of concrete remain today.
Railroads Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel
4. Railroads Marker
PRR Caboose image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel
5. PRR Caboose
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2020, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 18, 2020, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=158128

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 23, 2022