Pembroke in Bryan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old City Jail
In 1928, the City of Pembroke purchased an 1897-vintage two-unit prefabrication cell from the old Bryan County Seat of Clyde, Georgia when that town was demolished to make way for the development of Camp Stewart by the U.S. Army. The iron cell was dismantled, shipped by wagon to Pembroke, and then reassembled inside the jail building. The improved jail remained in operation until the 1950s, when it was retired.
In 2003, the Old City Jail was restored as a museum by the Pembroke City Council with the guidance and assistance of a committee of dedicated citizens:
Mariam Bush, Committe Chair
Audrey Marshall • Renee' Houser • Evelyn Barone • Al Chassereau
Renovation by: M. Smith Construction • Purcell Heating and Air
This historic preservation project was funded by the Pembroke City Council with additional funding provided by a Local Assistance Grant from the
Erected 2003 by Pembroke City Council.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Law Enforcement.
Location. 32° 8.056′ N, 81° 37.302′ W. Marker is in Pembroke, Georgia, in Bryan County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Gibson St. and S. College St., on the right when traveling east on W. Gibson St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pembroke GA 31321, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bryan County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Bryan County (about 300 feet away); Sherman's Right Wing (approx. 8.1 miles away); Old Sunbury Road (approx. 10.1 miles away); Old River Road (approx. 11.6 miles away); Upper Black Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 11.7 miles away); Upper Black Creek Church (approx. 11.7 miles away); Nevils Station & Shearwood Railroad (approx. 12.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pembroke.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,319 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.