Stevenson in Skamania County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
"White Lightning" In The Back Alley
Lewis Aalvik rented the east building to a hardware store in 1912. Reportedly, a brothel operated out of the second floor. The back stairs conveniently opened to the back alley where "white lightning" was available.
Old Town Tavern
In the 1920's, Conrad Lundy, Sr. had a pool hall called the "Town Tavern." It remained operation until the mid-1980's. The Aalvik family sold the building in the late 1980's and it became a restaurant.
The Keller Building
Christian Aalvik rented the west building to Neinstadt's Dry Goods in 1912. In 1943, Vera and Glen Keller opened Keller Electric, which developed into one of the most modern showrooms for electrical appliances in Southwest Washington. In 1976 Vera Keller opened a ceramic shop that operated until 1995.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stevenson WA 98648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stevenson Washington (here, next to this marker); "Stump Lifter" Elected First Mayor (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Depression Threatens Bank (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Steamboats Docked at Stevenson (about 800 feet away); "The Great Shoote" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bretz Floods (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wind Mountain (approx. Ό mile away); Gatekeepers of the Columbia (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stevenson.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.