Mariposa in Mariposa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
John Trabucco Building
This property was part of Juan Alvarado's 1844 Mexican "Las Mariposas” land grant, later purchased by John C. Fremont. In 1895 John and Catherine Trabucco purchased this lot and began construction in 1896 on the site of the Arcade Saloon which was destroyed by fire in 1884. Granite for the store and salvaged windows came from Mormon Bar, the wrought iron staircase came around Cape Horn. The Trabucco "cheap cash" store opened in 1896 offering groceries, dry and fancy goods. In 1929 John retired and left his son Emile in charge of the business. In 1972 Emile closed the store and his son Ron operated, "Ronnie's Spirits and Sports" in part of the building. Since then a restaurant and several retail businesses have been located here. This building is currently owned by the Bryson Family.
Erected by Matuca Chapter 1849 E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1844.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5024 B CA-140, Mariposa CA 95338, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mariposa Meat Market (a few steps from this marker); Capital Saloon (a few steps from this marker); Fremont Adobe (a few steps from this marker); Schlageter Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Mariposa Independent Order Odd Fellows Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Mariposa County’s Old Stone Jail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Joseph's Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mariposa.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2020, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 32 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on October 19, 2020, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?