Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A. H. Belo Corporation
A.H. Belo Corporation traces its roots to a small company that founded the Galveston "Daily News" on April 11, 1842. The company began publishing the "Texas Almanac" in 1857. Alfred Horatio Belo (1839-1901) bought the company in 1876 and founded the "Dallas Morning News" in 1885, entrusting it to G.B. Dealey (1859-1946). In 1923, the company sold the Galveston paper and moved its headquarters to Dallas. The company later diversified into radio and television, including WFAA-TV. Since its founding, the A.H. Belo Corporation has played a major role in Texas communications.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6593.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 32° 46.845′ N, 96° 47.663′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Commerce Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1954 Commerce St, Dallas, TX 75201, Dallas TX 75201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Dallas Morning News (here, next to this marker); Hilton HotelMajestic Theatre (about 600 feet away); Karl St. John Hoblitzelle (about 600 feet away); Neiman-Marcus (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dallas Scottish Rite Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Dallas (approx. ¼ mile away); Busch-Kirby Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2011. This page has been viewed 687 times since then and 68 times this year. Last updated on October 19, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. 5, 6. submitted on October 12, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.