Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Dallas Morning News
On Oct. 1, 1885, "The Dallas Morning News" began publication as the North Texas extension of A. H. Belo's "Galveston News." The two publications were linked by telegraph to exchange information, and they maintained a statewide network of correspondents.
Col. Belo's Dallas paper was a success from the start, and by 1900 it exceeded the "Galveston News" in circulation, size and advertising revenue. "The Dallas Morning News" soon acquired its morning rival, the "Dallas Herald," which had been founded as the "Cedar Snag" by James Wellington Latimore in 1849. G. B. Dealey, who had played a major role in the establishment of "The Dallas Morning News" and had served as its first business manager, became president of A. H. Belo & Co. in 1920. In 1926, he bought control of the corporation.
Under Dealey's management, "The News" continued its leadership among Texas newspapers. It long has expressed an active interest in local, state, and national affairs, taking a firm stand against the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s, and over the years successfully encouraging integrity in government, efficiency in city management, water conservation,
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6671.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 32° 46.847′ N, 96° 47.66′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Commerce Street, on the right when traveling east on Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1954 Commerce St, Dallas, TX 75201, Dallas TX 75201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A. H. Belo Corporation (here, next to this marker); Hilton Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Majestic Theatre (about 600 feet away); Karl St. John Hoblitzelle (about 600 feet away); Neiman-Marcus (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dallas Scottish Rite Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Dallas (approx. ¼ mile away); Busch-Kirby Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2011. This page has been viewed 590 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on October 19, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on October 19, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on October 19, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.