Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Dwight in Livingston County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Welcome to Dwight

 
 
Welcome to Dwight Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, September 30, 2020
1. Welcome to Dwight Marker
Inscription.  The Citizens of Dwight would like to invite you to visit not only the four Historic Landmarks pictured above, but to view the many other historic sites nestled within our village. The Pioneer Gothic Church was built in 1857 and is presently used as a Township Hall. The Dwight Railroad Depot, built in 1891, is presently used as a Dwight Historical Museum and Dwight Economic Alliance Office. The Windmill, which is on what was the Oughton Estate, was built in 1896. The Ambler-Becker Gas Station was built in 1932 and serves as a Route 66 Information Center. The other historic sites to visit, which are not pictured, are the Railway Express Office which is near the Depot. Also in the Downtown area are the First National Bank, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and the Dwight Bank, which has a beautiful mural rendered by a Vienna born artist. Other sites in the Downtown area are the W.W. Fox Developmental Center, location of beautiful stained glass windows depicting the five senses crafted by Louis J. Millet, which was the Keeley Building and the Livingston Hotel and also housed the Veteran's Administration Hospital. Near the Windmill is the Country Mansion,
Welcome to Dwight Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, September 30, 2020
2. Welcome to Dwight Marker
Marker is next to the Ambler-Becker Texaco Station, which is a restored building that is a Route 66 Information Center.
which was the home of J.R. Oughton and now houses a restaurant and The Garden Room banquet facility. Also nearby is the Oughton Carriage House that was used by the Keeley Company and now houses the Prairie Creek District Library. Our U.S. Post Office has a mural which was painted in 1937. Many of these sites are on the National Registry of Historic Places.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 41° 5.648′ N, 88° 26.37′ W. Marker is in Dwight, Illinois, in Livingston County. Marker is on West Waupansie Street north of West Mazon Avenue (Illinois Route 17), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at the restored Ambler-Becker Texaco Station. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 417 W Waupansie St, Dwight IL 60420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Full Service on Rte 66 (a few steps from this marker); Dwight, Illinois (within shouting distance of this marker); Mom and Pop Motels (approx. ¼ mile away); A Well Connected Village (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1879-1979 (approx. 0.6 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pioneer Gothic Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Shifting Roadways (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dwight.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 3, 2021