Ticonderoga in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
LaChute River Trail
— Lake Champlain Region —
LaChute River Trail
The Delaware and Hudson Railroad Baldwin Branch
The Baldwin Branch of the Delaware & Hudson Railroad began construction in June 1874 upon the old Baldwin stage route used for years to link steamship connections at Montcalm Landing (Port Marshall) on Lake Champlain with Baldwin Dock (Coates' Landing) on Lake George. Rail service began on May 24, 1875, reducing the 5-mile stage line trip, formerly under the guidance of William J. Baldwin, from 35 to 15 minutes. The first train over the branch occurred on May 31, 1875.
Stations on the line included Academy and Baldwin (constructed in 1882). One or more daily passenger trains serviced the branch from 1875 through 1932 passing the eastern edge of Ticonderoga. Academy, named for the nearby Ticonderoga Academy, was a non-agency station located near the intersection of Defiance Street and The Portage (South Main Street), but did not comprise a physical structure. Trains stopped at Academy from 1875 to approximately 1892. Upon completion of the Ticonderoga rail spur (1891), additional passenger and freight facilities were constructed followed by the
The Baldwin Branch crossed the outlet of Lake George near Alexandria Avenue (Bridge Street) employing a plate girder bridge (now part of the River Walk) before reaching the northern Lake George steamship terminus at Baldwin Dock. The branch served several customers including the "A” mill at the upper falls.
The railroad discontinued passenger service after the 1932 summer steamship season. In February 1939, the railroad closed Baldwin station and abandoned the rail line into Baldwin that June. Branch line tracks located south of Alexandria Avenue were dismantled prior to 1950. Freight service continued to the Lake George Avenue area for a short period. The railroad officially abandoned and removed all remaining Baldwin Branch tracks in the Ticonderoga area in 1981.
right center photo: The Ticonderoga Branch, completed in 1891, split from the Baldwin Branch 2.01 miles from the junction with the Delaware & Hudson main line near Montcalm Landing. This postcard photo is pre-1922. Photo Credit: Mark Wright.
center photo: This post card shows the terminus of the Baldwin Branch at Baldwin Dock (date unknown). A Delaware & Hudson passenger train meets the steamship "Horicon” which sits at the dock. Photo Credit: Mark Wright collection.
bottom right photo: Shown here is the
For more detailed history on the Baldwin and Ticonderoga branches of the Delaware & Hudson Railroad and Ticonderoga history in general, go to www.tibranch.com.
Lakes to Locks Passage
The Great Northeast Journey
Lakes to Locks Passage takes you through a spectacular landscape laden with history. Follow this map to find your way through four story-filled regions that connect the historic waters of Lake Champlain and Lake George with the Champlain Canal and Hudson River to the south and the Chambly Canal to the Richelieu and St. Lawrence Rivers of Quebec to the north.
Waypoint Communities are poised to greet the traveler along Lakes to Locks Passage, offering sites to visit, lodging, dining and shopping experiences. Streams of history flowthrough these valleys, reflecting "lives” that continue to unfold. Be sure to visit the Waypoint Community Heritage Centers located throughout the region for interpretive exhibits that reveal the stories of the Four Lives of Lakes to Locks Passage.
The Four Lives
Natural Forces and Native Peoples shaped the landscape and culture of the inland waterway rich with resources.
Conflict and Settlement traces the exploration, warfare and peacekeeping activities of nation-building along the waterway.
Corridor of Commerce explores the trade in furs, timber, stone, minerals, farm products and technology that flows through these valleys.
Magnet for Tourism reveals the evolution of tourism and stewardship of the environment.
center photo: American row galleys and flagship Saratoga engage the British brig Linnet in Plattsburgh Bay in this detail of "MacDonough's Victory on Lake Champlain” by Henry Reinagle, 1816.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 43° 50.209′ N, 73° 25.821′ W. Marker is in Ticonderoga, New York, in Essex County. Marker is on Alexandria Avenue west of Lake George Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Located in the park at the outlet of Lake George into the LaChute River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ticonderoga NY 12883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Valley (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Military Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); "C-Dam" (approx. 0.4 miles away); From this point south… (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mount Defiance (approx. 0.6 miles away); Military Heroes of Ticonderoga (approx. 0.6 miles away); Artillery Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lord Howe’s Grave (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ticonderoga.
Also see . . . Ticonderoga Branch of Delaware and Hudson Railroad. (Submitted on October 21, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 21 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.