Rosenberg in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fort Bend Telephone Company
Founded in 1914, the Fort Bend Telephone Company began when Charles H. Waddell purchased nine individual telephone lines in the Needville community and established a central switchboard exchange. The company grew quickly and soon connected the neighboring towns of Beasley, Brookshire, Damon, Fairchild, Guy, Katy, and Pattison. Incorporated in 1917, the company installed its first dial system in the late 1950s; rural underground cables in 1962; dial service to Houston in 1973; and digital dialing in 1978. Still family-operated, the company is a significant local business.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8996.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
Location. 29° 33.555′ N, 95° 48.356′ W. Marker is in Rosenberg, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue G and 3rd Street, on the left when traveling west on Avenue G. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2012 Avenue G, Rosenberg TX 77471, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Charles Harvey Waddell (a few steps from this marker); Rosenberg Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Robinowitz Brothers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vogelsang Building (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Rosenberg (approx. ¼ mile away); Trone-Ray-Lane House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Julius Edward Junker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Teague-Waddell House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rosenberg.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 189 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 22, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.