Springfield in Hampden County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Burbach, Bangs, and McKinney Blocks
1111-1127 Main Street
— Built 1882, circa 1870, and 1905 • Renovated 1982 —
Erected by Springfield 350th Anniversary.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 42° 6.019′ N, 72° 35.154′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Massachusetts, in Hampden County. Marker is on Main Street just east of Crossett Lane, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted at eye-level directly on the subject building, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1121 Main Street, Springfield MA 01103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union House / Chandler Hotel / Edisonia Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Stockbridge Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Theodore Seuss Geisel Was Born Here in 1904 (within shouting distance of this marker); Howard Street School / WCA Boarding House (within shouting distance of this marker); Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Springfield Safe Deposit and Trust Company (about 400 feet away); Mass Mutual Building (about 400 feet away); 95 State Street (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Regarding Burbach, Bangs, and McKinney Blocks. National Register of Historic Places #83000739 (Burbach Block), #83000736 (Bangs Block), and #83000755 (McKinney Building).
Also see . . .
1. Burbach Block (Wikipedia). The Burbach Block is three stories in height, built of red brick, and is separated from Cross Street by a narrow park. It is five bays wide, with a single modern commercial storefront on the ground floor. In the 20th century, this building (Submitted on October 25, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Bangs Block (Wikipedia). The building was built in 1870 for John Bangs, who was operating a dry goods business in the Gunn and Hubbard Blocks on State Street, and moved it to this building. His son, Adam Bangs, used the space as a meat market, and it has seen a variety of commercial uses since then. (Submitted on October 25, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. McKinney Building (Wikipedia). The block was built in 1905, at a time when Springfield's downtown was growing to the south. It was built by developer Richard McKinney on land that formerly belonged to Jonathan Bangs (builder of the adjacent 1870 Bangs Block). The ground floor housed retail spaces, and the upper floors were in the early years used by First Spiritualist Society. (Submitted on October 25, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 25, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.