Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Stephens City in Frederick County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Old Graveyard

Lots #76 & 77

 
 
The Old Graveyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, October 23, 2020
1. The Old Graveyard Marker
Inscription.  
"The Old Graveyard" is composed of town lots number 76 & 77, each a half acre in area. On January 17, 1799 they were deeded by Lewis Stephens, Jr. to the following thirteen Trustees: David Wilson, William McLeod, William Elsea, Ebenezer, Potter, Richard Barton, Joseph Fawcett, Jacob Leonard, Jacob Moires (Myers), David Mittinger, Lewis Stephens, Jr., Bryan Martin Stephens, Henry Stephens and Andrew Pitman. The deed read, "in behalf of the freeholders of the Town of Stephensburg." Both lots sold for the sum of 5 shillings and were described as being commonly called the graveyard and schoolhouse lots, suggesting that the property was already in use prior to the dedication to the trustees'.

Inez Virginia Steele wrote 1906: "The dust of the first settlers rests in the graveyard, but being generally marked by common limestone rocks, their graves are not distinguishable." The Stephens family plot is in the southwest corner, adjacent to Mulberry Street. South of these graves appears to be the older part of the cemetery referred to by Miss Steele in her book Methodism and the Early Days of Stephens.

The first house
The Old Graveyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, October 23, 2020
2. The Old Graveyard Marker
of worship in "Stephensburg" was built in the northwest corner of this cemetery. As described in 1850 by Pastor Rueben A. Funk "This old log church… was a homely structure with plain board pews and a common floor." Miss Steele further described this structure in her book as "the old schoolhouse, which stood on the northwest corner, having three windows looking east, west and south; they were about six feet wide and three feet high and were protected by board shutters. When light was required, these were propped up as high as possible by wooden sticks or pins. It was sometimes called the East Academy."

These grounds are maintained by the Town of Stephens City.
 
Erected by The Town of Stephens City, Virginia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 39° 4.885′ N, 78° 13.1′ W. Marker is in Stephens City, Virginia, in Frederick County. Marker is at the intersection of Mulberry Street and Green Street, on the right when traveling north on Mulberry Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5450 Mulberry St, Stephens City VA 22655, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hunter's Raid Begins (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Andrew Pitman House (about 500 feet away); In Memory of All American Veterans (about 600 feet away); Newtown Stephensburg Historic District (about 800 feet away); Stephens Family (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newtown (approx. ¼ mile away); Stephens City (approx. ¾ mile away); House of First Settler (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stephens City.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 24, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021