Stephens City in Frederick County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Andrew Pitman House
This lot was purchased by Andrew Pitman (1760-1838) on August 17, 1782, upon his return from service in the Revolutionary War. He enlisted in the Virginia Militia from 1777 to 1781, and was at Yorktown when Cornwallis surrendered. Upon his return, he married and established himself as a potter on this site. He is listed in the 1803 ledger of Winchester merchant Godfrey Miller. This ledger shows that he was trading wagon loads of pottery for supplies and merchandise from Miller's store.
Research indicates that this building is probably the oldest surviving pottery in the Shenandoah Valley.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 39° 4.973′ N, 78° 13.121′ W. Marker is in Stephens City, Virginia, in Frederick County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 11) just south of Fairfax Street (County Road T-631), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5413 Main Street, Stephens City VA 22655, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hunter's Raid Begins (a few steps from this marker); The Old Graveyard (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of All American Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newtown Stephensburg Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stephens Family (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newtown (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stephens City (approx. 0.7 miles away); House of First Settler (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stephens City.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 24, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.