Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Matagorda in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Albert Clinton Horton

(1798-1865)

 
 
Albert Clinton Horton Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, October 11, 2020
1. Albert Clinton Horton Marker
Inscription.  

Georgia native Albert Clinton Horton came to Texas in 1834 from Alabama, where he had served in the state legislature. He established a plantation along Caney Creek in present Wharton County. In 1835, he returned to Alabama to recruit volunteers for the Texas Army, and he served as Colonel of a Cavalry Unit during the Texas Revolution.

Upon the establishment of the Republic of Texas in 1836, Horton was elected to Congress. He was Chairman of a Commisson appointed by President M. B. Lamar to select a site for a permanent Capitol for the Republic of Texas in 1839.

When Texas became a state in December 1845, Horton was elected its first Lt. Governor. He served as acting Governor for over a year while Governor Henderson was leading Texas forces in the Mexican War.

When Baylor University was founded in 1845, Horton was a Charter Trustee. By the 1850s, he had homes in both Wharton and Matagorda. He and his partner, Abner Clements, gave land for Christ Episcopal Church in Matagorda, the first Episcopal Church in Texas.

He and his wife, Eliza Holliday, had six children. Horton died in Matagorda in 1865, various
Albert Clinton Horton Gravestone and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, October 11, 2020
2. Albert Clinton Horton Gravestone and Marker
sources listing the date of death as September 1, or October 7.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 99.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationWar, Texas Independence.
 
Location. 28° 42.009′ N, 95° 57.332′ W. Marker is in Matagorda, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of South Gulf Road and Matagorda Cemetery Road, on the left when traveling east on South Gulf Road. The marker is located in the far south section of the Matagorda Cemetery near the corner of Matagorda Cemetery Road and South Gulf Road. . Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Matagorda TX 77457, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. S. Rhoads Fisher (a few steps from this marker); Richard Royster Royall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ira Ingram (about 300 feet away); Seth Ingram (about 300 feet away); Dr. Albert Moses Levy (about 300 feet away); Sinclair David Gervais (about 300 feet away); Major George Morse Collinsworth (about 300 feet away); Matagorda Cemetery (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Matagorda.
 
Also see . . .  Albert Clinton Horton. Wikipedia (Submitted on October 25, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
The general area of the Albert Clinton Horton Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, October 11, 2020
3. The general area of the Albert Clinton Horton Marker
 
 
Albert Clinton Horton Gravestone image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, October 11, 2020
4. Albert Clinton Horton Gravestone
Albert Clinton Horton image. Click for full size.
Public Domain
5. Albert Clinton Horton
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 21 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 25, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 24, 2021