Perry in Wyoming County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Wycoff Harvester Company
The first building was erected on this site in 1828 and was used as a foundry. When it burned in 1839, local tradesmen donated their talents to build the pictured cobblestone building. This building first housed a business known as "Perry Steam Furnace” and later as "Perry Iron Works.” In 1875, the business was renamed "Wycoff, Tuttle & Olin” and manufactured the famous royce reapers and mowers. They employed 70 men and produced 1200 units annually, with total sales of $200,000.00. In 1894, the company then known as "The Wycoff Harvester Company” moved to Jamestown, New York, and closed after three years.
Dedicated to: Harold A. Popp, b.March 18,1942; d. August 11, 2000 Sponsored by: Hart’s Insurance Angency Perry Rotary Club Historical Marker Project 2002
Erected 2002 by Hart's Insurance Agency - Perry Rotary Club Historic Marker Project.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 42° 43.13′ N, 78° 0.09′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 N Main Street, Perry NY 14530, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robeson Cutlery Company (here, next to this marker); Richmond-Andrus Mill Site (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Water Trough (about 500 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Old Burying Ground (about 700 feet away); Andrus Mill Pond (approx. 0.2 miles away); Silver Lake Mills of Perry (approx. ¼ mile away); Pioneer Cabin (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perry.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2020, by Bruce Kelly of Perry, New York. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2020, by Bruce Kelly of Perry, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.