Matagorda in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Matagorda Methodist Church
One of the earliest Methodist churches in Texas. Founded Jan. 6, 1839, by the Rev. Jesse Hord, a circuit rider who recorded that he came through "black mud, a pouring down rain and a howling norther" to hold services in Matagorda. When he preached at "early candle light" (dusk), four persons came forward to form the nucleus of the present church.
The first church building was erected about 1851 but was destroyed by the great hurricane of 1854 which leveled almost every building in town. In 1869 worship was held in the county courthouse; in 1891 the present parsonage was built. In 1892 members decided they must have a proper church after being accidentally locked out of their meeting place - the schoolhouse - on a cold, rainy thanksgiving day.
Long Leaf Yellow Pine and Cypress were brought in from Galveston and the present church was completed in 1893. A Sunday School was soon founded by the Ladies' Aid Society. In 1927, Sunday School Rooms, a kitchen and study were built. In 1942, another huricane and flood damaged, but did not destroy.
Today, though many improvements and new furnishings have been recently added,
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3253.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is January 6, 1839.
Location. 28° 41.476′ N, 95° 58.069′ W. Marker is in Matagorda, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Fisher Street (State Highway 60) and Cypress Street, on the right when traveling west on Fisher Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Matagorda TX 77457, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Matagorda Lodge No. 7, A.F. & A.M. (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Matagorda (about 400 feet away); Christ Church (about 400 feet away); The Culver Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dale-Rugeley-Sisk Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Texas Freighting (approx. Ό mile away); Old Matagorda Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Matagorda.
Also see . . . History of Matagorda United Methodist Church. Matagorda United Methodist Church- usgenwebsites.org (Submitted on October 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 3. submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.