Matagorda in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Samuel Rhoads Fisher (1794 - 1839), early Texas colonist. Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, and Secretary of the Republic of Texas Navy, had this house built for his family in 1832. His widow, Ann, continued to reside here until 1860. Later owners of the house included planter Elsey Harrison; Samuel W. Fisher, son of the original owner; John T. Sargent, who built a schoolroom onto the house for his children; and rancher Gus L. Gottschalk, whose family retained ownership until 1977. A noted local landmark, the house features two-story open porches and a side gabled roof.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1901.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, Texas Independence. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 28° 41.272′ N, 95° 58.346′ W. Marker is in Matagorda, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Saint Mary Street and Matagorda Street, on the left when traveling south on Saint Mary Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Matagorda TX 77457, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. School House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frontier Building (about 400 feet away); Old Matagorda Post Office (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Old Matagorda Post Office (about 500 feet away); Commemorating Gulf High School (about 500 feet away); Site of Dream Colony of Jane McManus (about 500 feet away); Early Texas Freighting (about 500 feet away); Matagorda Lodge No. 7, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Matagorda.
Also see . . . Samuel Rhoads Fisher. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.