Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
The Beverly Bank was founded in 1900 by Dr. Humboldt Yokum who served as the Bank president. Yokum was a prominent doctor and community leader. S.L. Baker was a director, and served two terms in the State Senate. Both men served as mediators to help solve the county seat controversy between Beverly and Elkins.
For many years the Beverly Bank was the only bank in the community. It closed during the Banking Holiday of March 1933.
This building was built soon after the Bank was founded, attached to the courthouse in the lot between the courthouse and the street.
The Bank Building is rectangular one-story building of glazed white brick in Neoclassical Revival style, which was popular then for commercial buildings. The arched entryway is a gable pediment flanked by brick pilasters at an angle to the building. A second gable pediment on the side proclaims BANK on a metal panel. The original windows had three parts, with stained glass arched panels above.
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va. (Marker Number 26.)
Topics. This historical Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 38° 50.439′ N, 79° 52.516′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Main Street (U.S. 219), on the right when traveling east on Court Street. Located at stop 26 of the tour of Historic Beverly. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 74 Court St, Beverly WV 26253, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Randolph Co. Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Beverly Public Square (a few steps from this marker); Robert Foyles & Family (a few steps from this marker); Hill Building (a few steps from this marker); Blackman-Strader (within shouting distance of this marker); Blackman-Bosworth Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Bushrod Crawford Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beverly.
Also see . . . The Beverly Bank. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 16, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 813 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on October 27, 2020, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.