Matagorda in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Matagorda
Projected site of a town in 1826 Founded in 1829 with Stephen F. Austin, Elias R. Wightman, Hosea H. League and Ira Ingram as proprietors Third largest town in Texas in 1834 Incorporated January 28, 1839 County Seat of Matagorda County, 1837 - 1894 Badly wrecked by storms in 1854 and 1875 An early cultural center of Texas as evidenced by schools, churches and press
Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 889.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Disasters • Education • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 28° 41.542′ N, 95° 58.055′ W. Marker is in Matagorda, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Cypress Street and Lewis Street, on the left when traveling south on Cypress Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Matagorda TX 77457, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Christ Church (a few steps from this marker); Christ Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); Matagorda Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Matagorda Lodge No. 7, A.F. & A.M. (about 500 feet away); The Culver Home (about 700 feet away); Dale-Rugeley-Sisk Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Texas Freighting (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Dream Colony of Jane McManus (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Matagorda.
Also see . . . Matagorda Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.