Matagorda in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Christ Episcopal Church
This parish, the oldest Episcopal Church in Texas, traces its history to 1838. The year the Rev. Caleb S. Ives was appointed Missionary to the Republic of Texas. The first service was held on Christmas Day, and the Congregation was formally organized on January 27, 1839.
After land was donated by Albert Clinton Horton and Abner Lee Clements, the first building was erected. The first service was held in the new building on Easter Sunday 1841. Ives and his wife, Katherina, established a school, the Matagorda Academy, which was in operation until 1849.
After the first church was destroyed in a hurricane in 1854, this building was erected 400 yards west of the original site. Some materials from the 1841 Church were salvaged for use in the new structure, including the altar, communion rail, altar cross, and pews. Although this building has been damaged in numerous hurricanes, parts of it date to 1856. Exhibiting influences of the Italianate and Gothic Revival styles of architecture, features include round-headed, paired lancet windows. Designated as a recorded Texas Historic Landmark, the structure received the official Texas
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 840.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Disasters • Education.
Location. 28° 41.538′ N, 95° 58.047′ W. Marker is in Matagorda, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Cypress Street and Lewis Street, on the left when traveling south on Cypress Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Matagorda TX 77457, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christ Church (a few steps from this marker); City of Matagorda (a few steps from this marker); Matagorda Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Matagorda Lodge No. 7, A.F. & A.M. (about 500 feet away); The Culver Home (about 700 feet away); Dale-Rugeley-Sisk Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Texas Freighting (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Dream Colony of Jane McManus (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Matagorda.
Regarding Christ Episcopal Church. This church is the oldest Episcopal Church in Texas and is referred to as "The Mother Church of Texas."
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.