Paducah in McCracken County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Washington Street Missionary Baptist Church
Organized 1855 in log cabin near this site, led by George Brent, member Paducah First Baptist Church. Second was frame building, built by slaves, under leadership of Rev. George W. (“Pappy”) Dupee, the first pastor constituted on February 4, 1855.
Colonial brick structure built in 1893 under Rev. Dupee, rebuilt in 1942 after fire, when Rev. D. E. King pastor. Cornerstone this edifice laid June 18, 1967 under pastorate of Rev. H. Joseph Franklin, who envisioned building adequate for worship, Christian education. Dedicated August. 1969.
Erected 1969 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways; Donated by the Brotherhood of 1969. (Marker Number 1270.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Architecture • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 37° 4.977′ N, 88° 36.074′ W. Marker is in Paducah, Kentucky, in McCracken Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 721 Washington Street, Paducah KY 42003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Congressmen Representing First District Which Included Jackson Purchase, 1819-1995 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Visitors Coming to Paducah (about 400 feet away); "Old Judge Priest" (about 400 feet away); Spanish American War Monument (about 400 feet away); Tilghman House (about 500 feet away); Tilghman Home (about 500 feet away); McCracken County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Grace Episcopal (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paducah.
Also see . . . Our History. From church website. (Submitted on October 27, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.