Matagorda in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Matagorda Lodge No. 7, A.F. & A.M.
One of the oldest Masonic Lodges in Texas. This lodge traces its history to the Republic of Texas. A group of Masons met together on June 24, 1838, and petitioned the newly created Grand Lodge of Texas for a charter to form a Lodge here. Matagorda Lodge No. 7, A.F. & A.M. was officially chartered on November 12, 1838, with Seth Ingram as First Master.
From its beginning, the Matagorda Lodge was active and influential in the community's development. The first services of Christ Episcopal Church were held in the Masonic Hall. The Masons operated a lending library for the town's citizens and supported local public education projects.
In 1868, due to a succession of financial difficulties and the strains of the Civil War. The Matagorda Lodge was deactivated. The members maintained interest in the lodge, however, and it was finally rechartered by the Grand Lodge in 1911 under its original number.
Many prominent Texans have been affiliated with this Lodge, including local and state government officials. The lodge has counted among its members veterans of the War of 1812, the Texas Revolution, Mexican War, Civil War,
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3252.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations.
Location. 28° 41.471′ N, 95° 58.098′ W. Marker is in Matagorda, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and Fisher Street (State Highway 60) on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Matagorda TX 77457, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Matagorda Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Matagorda (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christ Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Christ Church (about 500 feet away); The Culver Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dale-Rugeley-Sisk Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Early Texas Freighting (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Matagorda Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Matagorda.
Also see . . . The Grand Lodge of Texas. Wikipedia (Submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.