Alexandria in Douglas County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Douglas County Courthouse
Works Progress Administration Project
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1940.
Location. 45° 53.054′ N, 95° 22.902′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Minnesota, in Douglas County. Marker can be reached from 7th Avenue West east of Douglas Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, just to the right of the north entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 8th Avenue West, Alexandria MN 56308, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Theodore A. Erickson (within shouting distance of this marker); Knute Nelson House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Minnesota Watersheds (approx. 3.4 miles away); Red River Ox Cart Trails (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Regarding Douglas County Courthouse. National Register of Historic
Also see . . . Douglas County Courthouse History. Minnesota Judicial Branch entry:
A fund started in the 1880s by a county auditor allowed the 1895 completion of the towered brick courthouse (pictured above) without the need for issuing bonds. Because "the county was suffering from a serious industrial depression, cost of material and labor was at a low figure...for this reason Douglas County was able to erect her present handsome courthouse...for the sum of $35,000." (Submitted on October 28, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 28, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.