Near Mechanicsville in Hanover County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
“The Old Church”
Erected on this spot in 1753
Subsequently moved to the village of “Old Church” and rebuilt in 1718
The Rev. Patrick Henry officiated 1737-1777
Erected 1932 by Hanover Branch, Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1684.
Location. 37° 38.675′ N, 77° 13.263′ W. Marker is near Mechanicsville, Virginia, in Hanover County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Church Road and McClellan Road, on the left when traveling south on Old Church Road. The marker is adjacent to the historic Old Church Tavern. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mechanicsville VA 23111, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stuart's Ride (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edmund Ruffin's Grave (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Stuart’s Ride (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cavalry Action At Linney's (approx. 1.9 miles Stuart's Ride (approx. 2.4 miles away); Cornwallis's Route (approx. 3.1 miles away); Henry's Call to Arms (approx. 3.1 miles away); "Old Virginia Barn" (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mechanicsville.
Regarding “The Old Church”. Immanuel Episcopal Church was established in Hanovertown on the Pamunkey River in 1684. When the parish was divided, a new church was built near this crossroads in 1718. It became known as "Old Church". By 1853 the wooden structure had fallen into disrepair. A new brick church was built several hundred yards south of this marker and serves the parish till this day.
Also see . . .
1. Immanuel Episcopal Church history. (Submitted on February 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
2. Civil War Traveler. Lee vs. Grant: The 1864 Overland Campaign Tour (Submitted on April 1, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,384 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 3. submitted on March 31, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 4. submitted on February 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 5. submitted on March 27, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.