Wortham in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
United Methodist Church
Congregation organized in 1867 by the Rev. J. Hill Bounds, an immigrant from Mississippi who brought his family to Texas by ox-wagon in 1865. At frist this church, as well as others in Wortham, shared a two-story building with the local Masonic Lodge. T. A. Bounds (son of J. Hill Bounds) donated this present, centrally located site.
Bishop Kenneth Copeland (born 1912) of the Texas Conference joined this church as a boy, and at 17 held a Revival here. A 1930s Revival leader was Bishop John C. Broomfield.
Present edifice was built 1925.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9908.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 47.285′ N, 96° 27.849′ W. Marker is in Wortham, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and North 3rd Street (State Highway 14), on the left when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wortham TX 76693, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured The Rev. G.W. Bounds (a few steps from this marker); City of Wortham (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wortham Oil Boom (within shouting distance of this marker); Blind Lemon Jefferson (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mrs. Lucy Haggard Longbotham (approx. ¾ mile away); Robert B. Longbotham (approx. ¾ mile away); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); William Rees (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wortham.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.