Wortham in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Rev. G.W. Bounds
(January 25, 1854 - November 13, 1944)
Born in Hickory, Miss. Family came to Texas, 1864. Preached his first sermon in 1880. Was ordained in 1890. Helped organize and was charter member of the Wortham Methodist Church. Instrumental in organizing area churches and serving their people. Beloved for good works.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9858.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
Location. 31° 47.288′ N, 96° 27.856′ W. Marker is in Wortham, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and North 3rd Street (State Highway 14), on the left when traveling west on West Main Street. The marker is located in front of the First United Methodist Church on the right side. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wortham TX 76693, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Methodist Church (a few steps from this marker); City of Wortham (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wortham Oil Boom (within shouting distance Blind Lemon Jefferson (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mrs. Lucy Haggard Longbotham (approx. ¾ mile away); Robert B. Longbotham (approx. ¾ mile away); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); William Rees (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wortham.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.