Mexia in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The First Presbyterian Church
Cumberland Presbyterians began this church in old Springfield (12 mi. SW) early in 1871. After Houston & Texas Central Railroad started the town of Mexia later in 1871, the congregation moved here. It erected a meetinghouse in 1878, and this Prairie Gothic edifice in 1898. A Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. (Northern) congregation joined the Cumberlands in 1905. Southern Presbyterians of Mexia (organized in 1876) came into the merger in 1942. Elements from the Southern Church, such as some windows and the bell, now are in the remodeled 1898 edifice.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1844.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 31° 40.986′ N, 96° 28.99′ W. Marker is in Mexia, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of Carthage Street and North McKinney Street, on the right when traveling west on Carthage Street. The marker is located next to the side entrance of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 Carthage St, Mexia TX 76667, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Origin of the Texas State Teachers Association (a few steps from this marker); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town Named for Gen. Jose Antonio Mexia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Miss Rogers' Music Room (approx. 0.6 miles away); Albert R. Mace (approx. Ύ mile away); Mexia Oil Boom (approx. 1.8 miles away); Joseph E. Johnston Reunion Grounds (approx. 5.6 miles away); William Rees (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mexia.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.