Mexia in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Origin of the Texas State Teachers Association
The first statewide teachers association in Texas had its beginnings in two regional teachers' organizations. The North Texas Educational Association was begun in Dallas in 1877. Teachers in Central Texas met in Austin in 1879, formed the Austin Teachers Association, and made plans to meet the next year with the North Texas group to create a statewide organization.
At a three-day meeting beginning June 29, 1880, about 40 Texas Educators met at this site (former Cumberland Presbyterian Church) and organized the Texas State Teachers Association. The Rev. Dr. J.R. Malone was elected president and governor O.M. Roberts served as guest speaker. The new organization took as its purpose the advancement of public education. One resolution passed at the first meeting supported the organization of the University of Texas, which at the mandate of the Legislature actually opened for classes in 1883.
All professional Teachers in the state were invited to join and by 1979 the membership had grown to over 100,000. TSTA has helped improve the quality of education by raising Teacher standards and by influencing passage of major education
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3869.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 31° 40.991′ N, 96° 28.98′ W. Marker is in Mexia, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of North McKinney Street and Carthage Street, on the right when traveling south on North McKinney Street. The marker is located at the front entrance to the First Presbyterian Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 Carthage St, Mexia TX 76667, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The First Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town Named for Gen. Jose Antonio Mexia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Miss Rogers' Music Room (approx. 0.6 miles away); Albert R. Mace (approx. ¾ mile away); Mexia Oil Boom (approx. 1.8 miles away); William Rees (approx. 5.6 miles away); Tehuacana (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mexia.
Also see . . . Texas State Teachers Association. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.