Elyria in Lorain County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Edgar F. “Daddy” Allen
Erected 2016 by the Elyria Rotary Club, the City of Elyria, the Lorain County Historical Society, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 30-47.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the Rotary International series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 41° 22.373′ N, 82° 5.666′ W. Marker is in Elyria, Ohio, in Lorain County. Marker is at the intersection of Gulf Road and Ridge, Cleveland, and East Bridge Streets, on the right when traveling south on Gulf Road. It is at the ceremonial entrance to Ridgelawn Cemetery which is not an entrance at all. Enter the cemetery from Ridge, Columbus or Glenwood Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 285 Columbus St, Elyria OH 44035, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of Easter Seal Society (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Founding of Elyria (approx. half a mile away); United States Post Office (approx. 0.6 miles away); Monteith Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Becker-Haynes Building (approx. ¾ mile away); Elyria Korean War Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Elyria Vietnam Conflict Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); U.S.S. Maine (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elyria.
Also see . . . The Story of Easterseals
In 1907, Ohio-businessman Edgar Allen lost his son in a streetcar accident. The lack of adequate medical services available to save his son prompted Allen to sell his business and begin a fund-raising campaign to build a hospital in his hometown of Elyria, Ohio. Through this new hospital, Allen was surprised to learn that children with disabilities were often hidden from public view. Inspired to make a difference, in 1919 Allen founded the National Society for Crippled Children, the first organization of its kind.(Submitted on December 10, 2019.)
In the spring of 1934, the organization launched its first Easter “seals” campaign to raise money for its services. To show their support, donors placed the seals on envelopes and letters. Cleveland Plain Dealer cartoonist J.H. Donahey designed the first seal. Donahey based the design on a concept of simplicity because those served by the charity asked “simply for the right to live a normal life.” The lily—a symbol of spring—was officially incorporated as the National Society for Crippled Children’s logo in 1952 for its association with new life and new beginnings.
Additional keywords. streetcar accident
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 149 times this year. Last updated on October 30, 2020, by Robert Baughman of Bellefontaine, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 10, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of his gravesite • Can you help?