Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
In 1853, Reverend John Birkett bought the house from his father-in-law George Buckey. He and his wife Rebecca lived here and operated a store in one end. During the Civil War, the Birketts moved to Ohio, and while they were gone the house was destroyed. Upon their return in 1865, they built the existing two-story frame house plus a new store on the lot north of the house.
In 1871, Birkett sold the house to Charles J.P. "Pin" Cresap, a Beverly lawyer who was a member of the West Virginia House of Delegates in 1881. The Cresaps had no children, but a niece, Nannie Evans, lived with them and inherited the house after their deaths in 1900.
This two-story, "I" house with a rear ell is an example of Greek Revival style. It has 6/6 windows and clapboard siding with rake and corner boards. The entrance door has sidelights and
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va. (Marker Number 35.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
Location. 38° 50.403′ N, 79° 52.558′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 219), on the right when traveling south. Located at stop 35 on the tour of Historic Beverly. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Beverly Antique Mall (within shouting distance of this marker); David Goff House (within shouting distance of this marker); Isaac Baker House (within shouting distance of this marker); Blackman-Strader (within shouting distance of this marker); Randolph County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Randolph Co. Courthouse (about 300 feet away); 1841 County Jail (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beverly.
Also see . . . The Birkett-Cresap House. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 24, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2009. This page has been viewed 830 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on October 31, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 24, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.