Bernardsville in Somerset County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bernardsville Train Station
Bernardsville Train Station is a one-story stone structure with rounded corners and a hipped roof, and was built in 1901-1902. The interior classical detailing, including several pair of Corinthian pilasters carved in oak, is particularly notable.
The architect, Bradford Gilbert, was a designer of national reputation, noted for his station designs. His fees and the station building costs were paid by Grant B. Schley, a major landowner and the founder of Far Hills.
The original station, built in 1872, was removed to Mine Brook Road, and is now the Bernardsville News office.
Bernardsville was the western terminus of the Gladstone Branch until 1980.
An express train, the "millionaire's express", made its first top here after leaving Hoboken. Patrons were provided with an extra-fare club car.
The station is listed on the National Register of Hisotric Places and is owned by New Jersey Transit.
Erected by Frineds for a Greenr Bernardsville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Mine Brook Rd, Bernardsville NJ 07924, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Honorable Millicent Fenwick (a few steps from this marker); Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bernardsville Fire Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Bernardsville War Memorials (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bernards Township 9-11 Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Brick Academy (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bernards Township War Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Early Church (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bernardsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2020, by Raymond Siwek of Morristown, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 1, 2020, by Raymond Siwek of Morristown, New Jersey. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.