Bremond in Robertson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Love High School
T.W. Parker founded Bremond Colored High School in 1920 to educate young African Americans in the Bremond area. Professor Charles Love, Principal from 1925-1965, played such an integral part in the school by preparing the students that it was renamed in his honor in the 1940s. The original campus, which no longer exists housed six classrooms, an agriculture building, a small auditorium, and a cafeteria manned by volunteer students. At a time when official segregation limited opportunities for young African Americans, the school focused on vocational and agricultural training. Love High School closed in 1965 and its students integrated with nearby Bremond High School.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18253.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
Location. 31° 10.492′ N, 96° 40.408′ W. Marker is in Bremond, Texas, in Robertson County. Marker is at the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bremond TX 76629, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joseph and Catherine Bartula (approx. ¼ mile away); Bremond (approx. 0.6 miles away); Grace United Methodist Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Paul Bremond (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bremond (approx. one mile away); Wootan Wells (approx. 3.8 miles away); Site of Extinct Town of Hammond (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bremond.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.