Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hammond in Robertson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Extinct Town of Hammond

 
 
Site of Extinct Town of Hammond Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, October 18, 2020
1. Site of Extinct Town of Hammond Marker
Inscription.  

Dr. Ben F. Hammond moved here from Alabama in 1853 and built a plantation home about a mile to the west. Neighbors included James Love and Robert S. McCall. Hammond Depot and Post Office were opened at this point on the Houston & Texas Central Railroad after the doctor granted right of-way through his land in 1869. Near the Depot, used by planters for their shipping, were a few stores. As the railroad declined, the town had vanished by 1950. Area residents are mostly the descendants of persons given land at emancipation (1865) by Dr. Hammond and other planters.
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10917.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. 31° 5.724′ N, 96° 42.912′ W. Marker is in Hammond, Texas, in Robertson County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 6 and Old Hwy, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 6. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bremond TX 76629, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
General area of the Site of Extinct Town of Hammond Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, October 18, 2020
2. General area of the Site of Extinct Town of Hammond Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Harvey Massacre (approx. 3.3 miles away); Love High School (approx. 6 miles away); Old Calvert Foundry and Manufacturing Company (approx. 8.4 miles away); The Jacques Adoue Building (approx. 8.4 miles away); Casimir Drugstore (approx. 8.4 miles away); Cobb’s Market (approx. 8.4 miles away); Town of Calvert (approx. 8.4 miles away); Home Area of Chinese Farmers (approx. 8½ miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Hammond Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021