Franklin in Simpson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
A hallmark of the black community, it was dedicated on September 8, 1940 and G.R. Houston served as its first principal. In 1944, county schools merged with Lincoln, which brought about crowded conditions. School added onto several times from 1955 to 1961. It served the Harristown district until schools were integrated in 1965.
The school theme was “so teach us, that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.” Colors were purple and gold. School was the focus for community activities and a great source of pride for a quarter of a century. Current two-story portion of the original school building was saved, thus preserving the black heritage of Lincoln.
Erected 2011 by African American Heritage Center Inc., Simpson County Historical Society, Kentucky Historical Commission and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2345.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 Walker St, Franklin KY 42134, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Lincoln School (a few steps from this marker); "Sue Mundy's" Grave (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Stone Jail / Jailer's Residence (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cash-Carter Wedding / Walk the Line (approx. half a mile away); Simpson County Civil War Monument (approx. half a mile away); Beverly L. Clarke (approx. half a mile away); Simpson County Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Simpson County Desert Shield / Desert Storm Veterans Monument (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Also see . . . Lincoln School. From Explore Kentucky History. (Submitted on November 2, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 2, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 33 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 2, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.