Lebanon in Wilson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Cumberland University Founded in 1842
As one of the oldest universities in Tennessee, Cumberland University has a storied history of academic excellence. Among its graduates are U.S. Supreme Court Justices Howell Edmunds Jackson and Horace Harmon Lurton; Nobel Peace Prize recipient Cordell Hull, known as the Father of the United Nations; numerous governors and senators. The original campus burned during the Civil War. In 1892 it relocated to the current campus and adopted the image of the Phoenix symbolizing the institution's rise from the ashes.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3A 248.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
Location. 36° 12.34′ N, 86° 17.962′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Tennessee, in Wilson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Spring Street and South Hatton Avenue, on the left when traveling west on West Spring Street. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Robert H. Hatton Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Caruthers Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robert Looney Caruthers (approx. 0.3 miles away); Judge Nathan Green, Sr. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wilson County Courthouses (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Lebanon (approx. half a mile away); Neddy Jacobs Cabin (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Veterans and Robert H. Hatton Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Also see . . . Cumberland University. (Submitted on November 3, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.