Eddystone: A True Factory Town
Eddystone Print Works
Established in Philadelphia in the 1840s, William Simpson & Sons moved their textile company to Eddystone in 1875, shortly after the expansion of the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad. During its early years, the Borough of Eddystone was owned almost entirely by the Simpsons. They built many amenities for the company's workers including tenement housing and Lighthouse Hall (which contained a library and meeting room), and gave land for a park and for a school. The print works closed in 1963.
Above: When this image was printed in
Background: This map from 1892 shows the factories, tenements and even the parkland (in green) provided for workers.
Baldwin Locomotive Works
The Baldwin Locomotive Works was once a company with enormous influence on the railroad industry. In 1909, thc company, originally located in Philadelphia, began purchasing farmland in Eddystone from the Simpsons to move their massive operation. Over the years, thousands of locomotives were produced at the Baldwin plant in Eddystone. However, partly due to the company's slow acceptance of diesel technology over steam, Baldwin went out of business and the plant closed in 1956.
The Executive Office Building was completed in 1928 from a design by architects
Simon and Simon. It has changed hands several times over the years following Baldwin's
departure. The building continues to function as an office tower, as well as a reminder of the borough's industrial heritage.
Above: Postcards show Baldwin's shops (from Chester Pike), and Executive Office Building.
Below: A Philadelphia & Reading Railroad locomotive built by Baldwin.
Print Works photo courtesy of the Delaware County Historical Society. Map courtesy of the Radnor Historical
Department of Environmental
Erected by Industrial Heritage Parkway, Delaware County, Pennsylvania.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
Location. 39° 51.577′ N, 75° 20.495′ W. Marker is in Eddystone, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker is on 9th Street, 0.1 miles west of Simpson Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401_9th Street, Crum Lynne PA 19022, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eddystone Rifle Plant (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sun Village War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rochambeau Route (approx. 0.6 miles away); This Memorial Is Dedicated (approx. Ύ mile away); Dr. Anna E. Broomall (approx. Ύ mile away); Green-Bank (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Swedish Burial Ground (approx. 1.2 miles away).
More about this marker. The address used is that of Lighthouse Hall just to east.
Notice "The Factory and The Village" marker in Marcus Hook in this same county.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 3, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.