In the Village of Thornton
Thornbury Township, Delaware County, PA
This Building has served from its beginning in the early 1700s as a Country Inn, General Store, Field Hospital for the Revolutionary soldiers in the Battle of the Brandywine Sept. 1777, oldest U.S. Post office in continuous operation since its founding Feb. 25, 1829 (during the Presidency of Andrew Jackson), a cloth factory, Village market, Antique shop, Artists studio, & a continuing community center.
“Pace One” Restaurant & Country Inn was formerly the barn for the “Yellow House Inn”, with extra large hay mow capacity for the needs of oxen, horses, & cattle in the commerce of travelers & drovers from the far corners of Chester & Lancaster Counties to the Port Cities of Philadelphia & Chester, which required overnight stays even with Stage Coach or horseback speeds.
The old Chester County seat was moved from the city of Chester to the more central location of West Chester in 1786, to reduce the costs & traveling time. Delaware County was created in 1789 by dividing Chester County thru the then very large Thornbury Township, along the abutting property
Thus, with cannon & guns in place in West Chester, a decision was reached, just before a shot was fired, to create Delaware County, resulting in an unusually irregular county line dividing these two Thornbury townships.
The seat of Delaware County was moved from Chester to Media in 1851 amid rumbling of the political “Guns”.
Compiled 1990 by Thornbury Historical Society
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 39° 54.455′ N, 75° 31.868′ W. Marker is near Glen Mills, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. It is in Thornbury Township. Marker is at the intersection of Glen Mills Road and Thornton Road, on the right when traveling east on Glen Mills Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 378 Glen Mills Rd, Glen Mills PA 19342, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Historic Village of Thornton (a few steps from this marker); An Exhausted Retreat (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Preserving Our Past for the Future (approx. 0.4 miles away); If You Can't Take the Heat, Build a Summer Kitchen (approx.
Regarding Yellow House. On February 25, 1829, Andrew Jackson was actually not yet President. He was President-elect, with inauguration a week away on March 4.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2011. This page has been viewed 1,034 times since then and 68 times this year. Last updated on November 4, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on August 19, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.