Hartford in Ohio County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The first fort
in western Kentucky
prior to 1785
on pioneer Gabriel Madison's
land 300 yards north west
of this spot
on the bluff overlooking
Erected 1932 by Ohio County Historical Society; Fort Hartford Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution; and Ohio County Post No. 44, American Legion.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1785.
Location. 37° 27.041′ N, 86° 54.499′ W. Marker is in Hartford, Kentucky, in Ohio County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 231) and East Center Street, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Marker is on Ohio County Courthouse lawn. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 South Main Street, Hartford KY 42347, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Courthouse Burned (a few steps from this marker); County Named, 1798 (a few steps from this marker); First Public Building (a few steps from this marker); Ohio County World Wars Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Barnett's Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Richard Parks Bland (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Famous Kentucky Artist (about 500 feet away); Rev. William Downs (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartford.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 129 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.